DuPont™ Express® herbicides
Herbicide resistant weeds are becoming a significant issue across Western Canada. Bringing a new herbicide active to market is very costly and time consuming, CropLife International estimates it takes over 11 years and $268M on average. For these reasons, we cannot rely on new herbicides to come to our rescue and must be proactive in helping to preserve the herbicide tools we already have in place. Recent research indicates that combining multiple modes of action in the same tank mix is more effective in delaying resistance than rotating herbicides. Adding a product like Express® to your glyphosate in a post-harvest or pre-seed burndown is the easiest way to incorporate an additional mode of action to reduce the pressure on glyphosate alone, as well to provide better control of hard to kill weeds.
Controlling weeds in the fall:
There are a number of good reasons to target weed control in the fall. Fall temperatures trigger the movement of nutrients to the roots of perennials and biennials to build up reserves for the following season. A systemic herbicide, like Express®, takes advantage of this movement into the root system, allowing for better control. Furthermore, winter annuals can be targeted in the fall while they’re still small, rather than waiting until spring when they’re larger and can out compete your crop. Finally, fall is a good time to control the weeds you can’t effectively manage with in crop herbicides for pulses (like peas, lentils) and canola.
Apply to actively growing weeds
- Weeds damaged at harvest need time to accumulate new leaf tissue. This is essential for herbicide uptake and efficacy
Spraying after a frost
- Frost damaged weeds are not healthy and will not take up herbicide
- Delay spraying if leaf tissues are blackened, browned or dark green, these are signs of cold temperature damage. Leaves should be vibrant green, shiny and pliable. Look for new growth
Timing & weather conditions
- Generally, recommend application by October 1st
- Spray in late morning or afternoon, when temperatures are warmer and heavy dew is off the plant
- Ideally, apply when temperatures are above 10oC and rising on days with predicted highs above 15oC or more
- Bright sunny conditions are ideal for moving herbicides to the roots where they will have the most impact next year
DuPont ™ Express® brand herbicides:
All Express® herbicides are powered by Solumax® soluble granules that dissolve, not just disperse, for efficient plant absorption resulting in consistent weed control and easy sprayer cleanout.
Express® works systemically within the plant right down to the roots, so weeds will not grow back. Express® is available in convenient, compact packaging, or customized for a grower’s specific field or spray tank size as PrecisionPac® non-crop herbicide blends.
DuPont™ Express® SG – For maximum cropping & timing flexibility
Express® SG offers excellent value tank mixed with 0.5 REL glyphosate rather than bumping up the rate of glyphosate alone. Combining 2 herbicide modes of action versus 1, results in proactive resistance management. Express® SG will control weeds not controlled by glyphosate alone, and provides improved control of the toughest weeds such as volunteer canola (excluding ClearField® varieties), dandelion, and wild buckwheat (see label for complete list). Express® SG offers maximum application & cropping flexibility.
- Seed cereals, field peas, dry beans, faba beans, lupin, soybeans, alfalfa, canary seed, red clover or alsike clover, smooth or meadow bromegrass, timothy & creeping red rescue 24 hours after application
- Seed winter wheat 24 hours after fall burn off
- Seed any cereal crop, canola, canary seed, alfalfa, field peas, lentils, dry beans, fababeans, lupin, soybean, flax, alfalfa, red clover or alsike clover, smooth bromegrass, meadow bromegrass, timothy and creeping red fescue the following spring
DuPont™ Express® PRO – Professional strength burn-off with extended control
Express® PRO delivers all of the benefits as Express® SG but also provides extended control (up to 15 days+) of key tough weeds such as: wild buckwheat, volunteer canola (excluding ClearField® varieties), and cleavers (see label for complete list). Express® PRO is a great option to use ahead of winter wheat in the fall to ensure a clean start next spring. Limit the use of Express® PRO to one application per season.
- Apply prior to seeding spring wheat, winter wheat, durum wheat or barley
- Seed winter wheat 24 hours after fall burn off
- Seed wheat, barley or oats next spring
Fall Applied Express® SG. Weed control efficacy of Express® SG applied post-harvest as shown compared with a sprayer miss. Photo taken the following spring.
For more information on Express® or other DuPont products please contact:
DuPont Crop Protection
Grower Specialist, Eastern Manitoba
As with all crop protection products, read and follow label instructions carefully. Member of CropLife Canada. Unless indicated, trademarks with ®, ™ or sm are trademarks of DuPont or affiliates. © 2016 DuPont.